How to Apply
How can I apply to the IMPRS-ML?
Six steps to a successful submission
Application to our PhD program is a six-step process, administered through our online application portal as outlined below.
- Check whether you are eligible to apply to our PhD program (more)
- Register at our online application portal between September 01 and October 25 (register here).
- Login to the application portal and invite two referees to submit a letter of recommendation
- Fill out the application form
- Upload all required documents (more)
- Submit your application no later than October 31
As soon as your referees submit a letter of recommendation, we will send you a confirmation email.
Please note: Applications are only accepted as complete if we receive both letters of recommendation before the deadline on October 31st! We will confirm successful submission of your application through email.
Please keep in mind that we can only accept complete applications submitted through our online application portal.
Please do not send applications to the Coordination Office via postal services or email. We are not able to accept those applications and they will not be returned.
Should you run into difficulties when filling in your application, please send an email to our helpdesk for advice.
Available projects - Who is recruiting students in this year’s application round?
Please have a look at our list of Recruiting Faculty 2023, to find out which faculty members are planning to recruit a student in this year’s round of recruitment. In the application form, you will be asked to name up to five faculty members from the list that you find most interesting.
Timeline of application / selection process 2023/2024
- Online application platform will open on September 01, 2023 (apply now)
- Closing date for registration is October 25, 2023 (24:00 Central European Time)
- Closing date for submission of reference letters is October 31, 2023 (24:00 Central European Time)
- Closing date for submission of your application is October 31, 2023 (24:00 Central European Time)
- Online panel interviews will take place December 06 to 08, 2023
- Successfull candidates will be invited to Munich for final interviews and match making February 06 to 09, 2024 (IMPRS-ML will reimburse travel expenses and cover accommodation)
- Letters of acceptance are sent out by mid-February, 2024
- Accepted candidates should start their thesis research no later than October 01, 2024